Darke Hall takes its name from Francis Nicholson Darke who was a prominent Regina businessman in the late 19th and early 20th century. During his career he served as Mayor of Regina and as a Member of Parliament. Mr. Darke’s philanthropy was instrumental in the establishment of Regina College in 1910 (which eventually became the University of Regina) and Darke Hall for Music and Art which opened in 1929.
For many years, Darke Hall served as the home of the Regina Symphony Orchestra and as the main performance venue for the Conservatory of Music. For almost a century, Darke Hall was a cultural hub for the city. It was prized by artists and patrons for its outstanding acoustics and gorgeous interior.
In 2014, the University of Regina launched a major campaign to restore Darke Hall to its original glory. Over a six-year construction process, the hall was transformed into a modern, accessible venue while maintaining and refurbishing its architectural heritage.
The transformation of Darke Hall was completed in 2022 with a gala opening hosted by the University of Regina on April 21st. On May 1st, 2022, the operation of Darke Hall was transferred to the Darke Hall Society through a partnership agreement between the university and the non-profit society.
Darke Hall is a 474-seat premier concert and performance venue focused on programming and promoting the work of local, national, and international artists. In partnership with the University of Regina, the non-profit Darke Hall Society offers a state-of- the art venue where artists and arts organizations can thrive in an environment that is affordable, accessible, and respectful of diverse artistic and cultural practices.